Sacred Heart Church in Vesterbro is a so-called “City Church” and is one of Copenhagen’s largest Catholic churches. It is the parish church for approximately 1300 people and with its convenient location close to the central station, it has a special position in the Danish Catholic landscape. It is easy for people to get to and from work, tourists and ordinary parish children to be able to take part in the church’s activities and the church’s mass’ are always well visited.
The church was inaugurated in 1895 and previously served as the main church of Jesuit Order in Denmark. In recent years, the church and the parish have been in a period of change, when Denmark’s last Jesuit priest, P. Gerhard Sanders, moved in 2015 and a total renovation of the old church building was launched. The church is taken over by the Franciscan Order later in 2017/first in 2018. Meanwhile, General Secretary mons. Niels is the inaugural parish priest and the priests Tomislav Cvetko and Tomaz Majcen. Once the new elevator has been completed, the bishop and his sisters move to the third and fourth floor, and thus the transitional period is expected to be completed.